9 Steps to Bring Freshness in Your Life Right Now!

I’m a strong believer in the fact that a coalition of simple acts by just one person DOES lead to making this world a better place to live in.

So I decided that I’ll create a new category on my blog called “Change the World“. Hopefully write something from time to time, mainly from personal experiences and aspirations, that someone can probably take something from and add in their bit in their own way to making a difference in the world.

I’ve been pondering about expanding your horizons and living life in abundance lately. A few things that came to my mind which I’d like to share…

Have you wondered how “routine” life can become over time? I mean, time and again we find ourselves being stuck in a rut of what is required from us – making ends meet, catching up with same old friends, having a good time like we have always been, listen to the same genre of music, eating the same “favourite” food.

Don’t you think you’re being underexposed in life? Not trying anything new, not going anywhere, not seeking new connections?

Yes I know, you’re wondering where I’m going with this…

I’m trying to inspire you to think “broad”, explore life to it’s fullest, live in abundance, take risks and give thanks at the end for a wonderful journey each day.

Life is so full of new things – different cultures to learn from, so many different hobbies, meeting people with completely new personalities and so much more, all offering different perspectives on the way you think.

Ask yourself – have you been sailing? Have you been to a museum?

Have you:

• been fishing?
  • learnt a new language?
  • been skydiving?
  • heard a symphony?
  • been to a rock concert?
  • tried playing a musical instrument?
  • offered voluntary help for the community?
  • explored a new culture?
  • been to an art gallery?
  • visited a new country?

The list is endless.

You may say “Well I’m not the kinda person who likes art”… How would you know unless you give it a shot?

Maybe you can’t afford to visit a new country, but you can definitely spend a few hours by the beach, or your local park and read a book isn’t it?

I still remember many years ago when I had just met my EX, she made a plan for a bunch of us to go to an amusement park. Now I used to despise amusement parks – but then again I brightly agreed to go – of course at that time I just wanted her to like me :) I would’ve gone to a mental research facility for psych tests if she would’ve asked me to back then LOL!

Anyways, I pompously remember now having so much fun that day – and that’s when I realised, I had simply pre-judged going to amusement parks until then.

Prejudice has nothing to do with just race or religion. You could pre-judge a culture, a hobby or an event! Have you thought about how many things have you simply, subconsciously pre-judged and ruled them out of your life without even giving it a second thought just because you’re not “used to it”?

I was always the kind of person who’d hang out with the same kinda friends, watch the same genre of tv-shows/movies and mostly have the same kinda food. For me it was like if someone has no clue about technology, xbox, my sense of humour, I didn’t have anything to do with them! Can you imagine how small my life had gotten? It was that “similarity” that I was after, that was actually limiting me. It wasn’t until recently I’ve actually started exploring more in life – thinking of broadening my life.

I remember a few months ago, I came back home from one of the worst days at work, and was pretty much in the mood to just curl up, feel miserable and sleep it off. Just then a friend of mine who lives up the coast called me. And I began my whining while explaining to her what happened all day so she could “empathise”. And she goes like, “alright – put on your running shoes right now and just walk out. Don’t question it or sit to think about it – just do it”. So I did, still grumbling though trying to reason out “how would this really help!”. A few minutes in just walking aimlessly, something beautiful started happening – I started to pay attention to nature, people around, still waters (there’s a wharf close to where I live) etc. I ended up spending over an hour just sitting by that wharf. I gave her a call to thank her and she told me she was doing the same thing – so we kept chatting on our walk back home, both being more appreciative and positive about the day :)

Imagine how much you’d grow as a person when you explore, see different cultures, develop new hobbies, meet people who look at things from a different perspective or learn about the history of a new place.

Even if we disagree with someone or something, we’d still learn something.

Getting out of your box every now and then will not only help you to grow, but also bring in enthusiasm in your life, stay excited and appreciate all that life has to offer.

So to sum it up, I challenge you to give some of the points below a shot in the coming week itself:

• Get out and meet people who are NOT like you. People who don’t share the same views as yours. Who don’t have the same sense of humour as yours. People who grew up in completely different environment than yours.
  • Set out some time to visit a local art gallery or a museum in your city. Better yet, take a friend you recently got acquainted with to tag along.
  • Welcome differences in attitudes and people – You don’t have to agree to the differences, simply acknowledge that you’re welcoming it to seek different perspectives.
  • Remind yourself everyday that life is abundant and there’s always so much to see, learn, observe, accept and be thankful for.
  • Every often think about one, complete selfless act, that you could do voluntarily that may make a difference to someone and in turn, make you feel better. It could be as simple as randomly greeting a stranger and wishing them “good day”.
  • Try to explore or cultivate a new hobby – read up on the internet about it, or go to your local library and read a book about it.
  • Call up a friend and see the sunset together.
  • Write a hand-written letter to a loved one.
  • Do something out of your normal routine of your day to day life.

You never know – you may be missing out on the best part of life just because you’ve pre-judged something and have made up your mind that you’re not gonna like to do something.

Life is way bigger than your mindset, bigger than your career, your ambition, your lifestyle. The more you’ll explore, the more appreciative you’ll become and make better decisions.

15 Comments on "9 Steps to Bring Freshness in Your Life Right Now!"

1. Ritesh says:

Woho! What got into you mate?

This is fantastic – Endless times, when I feel life is just getting monotonous, totally routine, and I just need to get out of it.

But yeah what you’ve said is so true – Just get out, and try something different. It really makes you a diff person. You start thinking differently !!

Well done bro – I’ll try doing something diff this weekend :P

2. Devesh says:

@ritesh – I’ve been wanting to do this for a while now, write something time after time – something positive to leave a mark. Never know who would stumble across and hope that it reflects back positively.

Way to go – do post a comment back and let me know how you went with trying something new :)

3. Maybe this would have struck an empathetic cord in me 4 years ago.. But something happened and it changed the way I looked at the world. Today I swing in the other extremity :D
    Which, come to think of it, isn’t so hot either.

But, as a ‘convert’ I know exactly what you mean. I only wish more people wake up to the fact that life’s just too short to NOT experience as much as you can pack in one sweet lifetime.

4. Ritesh says:

I’ll probably try taking Saloni to a new place for dinner :-)

** Atleast, i’m making a start :p LOL !!

5. Devesh says:

@macadamia the nut: Something’s got hold of all of us at some point or the other – we’ve all lost our tracks, being “pursued by the devil” (as I’d like to call it) – and ended up getting hurt with lifelong scars, as well as conveniently disposing them to the ones we loved.

We snap back and forth like a sine wave – but in the end, i guess if a little focus back on the “big” picture helps us get back on our feet, then I think it’s well worth it :)

@ritesh: So that was this “new, out of the blue” thing that you planning to do this week eh? I’m sure Saloni would be pleasantly surprised ;)

6. Ritesh says:

I took Saloni last night to this restaurant called “Out of the blue” for some Italian food, candle light dinner :-D

7. Devesh says:

@ritesh: Nice going – that’s a nice place, I went there a couple of times myself for some memorable dinners when I was in India this time around :)

8. Krupa says:

Dev, you make me proud. I love the way you’ve articulated your thoughts. I’m sure this way, you’ll inspire a lot of people who seek similar knowledge.

Way to buddy! keep it up.

9. Devesh says:

@Krupa: Thank you :) I hope to keep writing on this subject more over time :)

10. Surabhi says:

W-O-W Devesh! This is mindblowingly good! This is a thoroughly inpiring & yes a very refreshing post !

Keep at it my friend,you rock ! :-)

11. Devesh says:

@Surabhi – Thank you Surabhi – It’s so good to see you here :) I wish you would blog again :(

12. Ruch says:

I am loving this change in you.. and I hope I get ther soon too.. will definately try to be a lil more understanding if nothing else. You have always managed to bring out the best in me.. and you did it once again :)
    Thanks a ton honey

13. Hello Devesh,

Thank you for pointing me to this article. It was a joy to read indeed! :)

It sounds to me like you experienced something I call “living in the moment”. It is something that does not happen very often because of the mind.

“The mind” as I refer to it is the place within most people where there is a continuous mind chatter and mental noise dialoging on the background of every moment. This dialoging is in a continuous struggle, since in every moment it has a goal or desire that needs completed in order to make a problem better. This part of you is always questioning with “what if” dilemmas and creating stressful patterns when you respond to it by dwelling on it.

I discovered when the mind is quiet of the mental chatter, something phenomenal happens. The struggle stops, stress raises itself absent, depression melts away, and things I once saw as problems are nothing but a product of the mind. The pain of the problems disappear for the reason that you see the ‘problems’ are nothing more then a situation that desires attention.

When the mind is still, an incredible silence lurks there. While the mental noise is at rest, a waiting stillness that is life enlightening brings forth an infinite amount of aliveness. By ‘aliveness’ I mean a deep sense of infinite creativity, insights, realizations and an awakening of your conscious self with vibranticity, and energization. This state of aliveness is infinitely vast and a new energy flows through you.

This energy is your magnificent infinite potential that springs out of your State of Beingness where unconditional love lives. This state is where life begins to flood through you instead of struggling with problems that cause stress and lead to depression by focusing on that noisy chatter in your mind. When this state is flowing through you then you realize there is nothing in the outer world that you need. You finally get the concept of what people mean when they express the idea of letting go of life and allowing life to flow naturally through you.

When you act in the present moment then the majority of your choices are spontaneous through the experience of living in the now. Wild animals in nature live in this way continuous in every moment for the reason that they allow life to act through them spontaneously. Nature responds in the moment instantaneously in the state of aliveness naturally, since that is the nature of life celebration and the way that life intentionally through design is to be lived.

Of course, the mind does not want to be in the present, the mind fixates a need within people to be in the future, where a goal, plan, or desire needs fulfilling in order to relieve itself from the moment of now. The mind is continuously struggling in every moment to attain itself in an undertaking to get absent from the moment. The chatter and mental noise within the mind is continuous and in every moment tells you a problem needs fixed in order to make life better. This dialoging is in a continuous fight to make a problem better. I am not saying goals, plans or desires are a terrible strategy, I am saying that the need of them are not needed because when living in the moment the universe will naturally support you.

In conclusion, the mind is the biggest problem in the world since it is the source of all problems. Yet in the moment that the mind is still then you see that the mind is just an illusion. The mind is a false impression that detracts you from living in the moment. I have seen and read many articles in my life about ‘living in the moment’ and as well as the importance of meaning of ‘unconditional love’, ‘letting go’ and ‘abandonment of the ego’, however I never really understood and appreciated the information presented for the reason that these things are a concept of an experience. Experience requires action therefore; you cannot fully ever comprehend any concept or appreciate the material until you have your own experience. No explanation could give these concepts justice. Only experience gives justice and that is exactly what you have inspired others and myself to go out and do, have an experience in the moment. :)

Sorry I rambled on a bit much :P lol

Fantastic article my new friend! Have a Consciously Flexing day,
    ~Nicholas Powiull @ Conscious Flex

Trackbacks for this post

1. Media Districts Entertainment Blog » 9 Steps to Bring Freshness in Your Life Right Now!
  2. Movies and Film Blog » 9 Steps to Bring Freshness in Your Life Right Now!

Got something to say? Go for it!